The Overview and Scrutiny Committee does not make decisions, but does scrutinise decisions made by the Executive Committee or the Lead Councillors. The Committee can undertake reviews and in-depth investigations in order to provide advice and recommendations.
In general, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee undertakes the following activities:
· Scrutinising the decisions of the Executive Committee and Lead Councillors throughout the decision-making process.
· Contributing to policy development by examining performance and policy outcomes against local service need and provision.
· Reviewing council services to ensure they are achieving customer satisfaction, value for money delivering performance and meeting standards.
· Reviewing how effectively the council delivers services with external agencies.
· Appointing sub-committees to fulfil overview and scrutiny functions;
· Maintaining s scrutiny work programme so as to ensure that the time of the committee is effectively and efficiently utilised;
· Undertaking investigations into such matters relating to the Council’s functions and powers as:
(i) may be referred by the Council/Leader/Executive; or
(ii) Has been referred to the committee because of the councillor “call-in” procedure set out in the Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules in Part 4 of the Constitution
Support officer: James Dearling.